Adobong Sitaw at Okra with Tofu and Mushrooms
Share on Facebook Print Recipe
This classic Filipino recipe by Andrea Calayan from Maria Therese Foundation makes you realize that healthy can actually taste really good, too.
- 1-2 tbsps coconut or grape seed oil (or any cooking oil)
- 4-5 pieces red/green okra, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 10-15 pieces string or green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3-5 pieces garlic, crushed and sliced
- half of 1 portabello mushroom, sliced into 1/4 inch strips then sliced into 3
- 1/3 of a block of firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch stripes then cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos, tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider, cane, or white vinegar
Wash and steam the okra for 5 minutes, set aside. Wash and snip off the ends of the string beans.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil. Once hot, fry the tofu on each side until
golden brown, then set aside. Fry the portobello mushroom pieces for 30 seconds per side and set aside.
Using the same skillet, add 1 tbsp cooking oil and heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent (do not brown). Add the garlic, stir and sauce for 1 minute until fragrant. Add pinches of salt and pepper to taste.
Place the tofu and mushrooms back into the pan. Add the rest of the ingredients (except string beans), stirring frequently until the sauce starts to boil. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium-low and add the sting beans. Stir well, and let simmer for 4-5 minutes until the string beans are cooked.
- Turn off the heat, transfer to serving bowl and serve.
Other recipes you might like!
Any dish combined with coconut makes a sumptuously creamy twist to your meal. Give your classic adobo a mouthwatering twist by trying this two…
Risotto is an Italian rice dish cooked in a broth to create a creamy consistency. For this, you can use Dinorado, Jasmine, or Arborio rice.
Filled with fresh ingredients mixed with curry and other spices, this recipe is the ultimate Caribbean adventure of flavors.
Discover a new way to savor the delicious and healthy goodness of kalabasa! This one's an impressive way to serve pumpkin during special occasions,…