Share on Facebook Print Recipe
Hainanese Chicken is another Chinese dish that eventually became a favorite here in the Philippines. Why go to a fancy Chinese restaurant, when you can prepare this recipe on your own, right? Don’t be intimidated by this dish because RecipeTV is with you every step of the way.
- 800 grams Magnolia Fresh Chicken
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 75 g ginger, sliced
- 2 pcs medium onions, quartered
- 6 stalk lemongrass, pounded
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- salt (to taste)
- 3 liter water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1tbsp water
- 2 cups rice, washed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup white onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup Star Margarine
- 3 cups chicken broth (or 2 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 3 cups of water)
- 200 g ginger
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves (wansoy)
- 1/4 cup kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
For the Chicken:
Rub chicken with rock salt and massage for 5 minutes.
Place half of the ginger, onions, lemon grass, salt, pepper, and water in a stockpot.
Stuff the other half of the mixture inside the chicken and bring to a boil.
Put in chicken and boil for 40 minutes.
Turn off heat and let stand for another 30 minutes.
Reserve the boiling liquid.
- Remove chicken and submerge into an ice bath for 10 minutes.
For the Hainanese Rice:
Sauté garlic and onion in melted margarine.
Add washed rice and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
Transfer to a rice cooker and add chicken broth.
- Halfway through cooking time, adjust water if necessary to come up with a soft consistency.
For the Sauce:
Place ginger, wansoy and corn oil in a blender.
Pulse until a paste-like mixture is formed.
In a pan, pour ¾ cup of the boiling liquid and thicken it with cornstarch dissolved in water.
- Season with salt according to taste.
Debone chicken and pour the thickened stock.
Serve together with the ginger mixture and other dipping sauces (kecap manis, light soy sauce & chili sauce).
- Serve the remaining boiling liquid as soup and adjust seasoning according to taste.
Happy cooking, Foodies!
Other recipes you might like!
Want a quick Tex-Mex fix? Try this sumptuous Chicken Soft Tacos recipe! With a generous amount of chicken, veggies, cheese, lettuce, tomato,…
Give your favorite Tiramisu a refreshing twist with this super easy yet absolutely delicious recipe. Fresh fruits? Yes, please!
If you want a light, creamy, and slightly sweet soup on a rainy day, you?ll enjoy a bowl of Chicken Corn Chowder.
Dense, buttery and soft cookies, anyone? Don't forget to pair a bite of this recipe with a glass of warm milk, Foodies!
Feeling a bit under the weather? All you need are these: some bed rest, a pop of meds, and a warm bowl of Chicken Soup.